Re: Agps status on Nexus 4

Thanks for the clarification.

Thibaut

On Monday, 13 April 2015 18:12:47 BST, Steve Langasek wrote:
Hi Thibaut,

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 12:54:34PM +0100, Thibaut Dedreuil_monet wrote:
Is it true that the Agps will not be supported anymore on the Nexus 4?

I completely understand from a business point of view that there must be a
licence agreement between Here maps and Canonical, regarding the Agps
avaibility.

As an ordinary user, with a supported phone ( Nexus 4) it would be nice to
be able to purchase a licence, for a reasonnable price, to re-enable the
Agps.  This would still enable me to have a phone with decent gps
capabilities.

As an example, the raspberry pi foundation, enables the purchase of
licenced video codec.  http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

Following on to Pat's comments: agps support is included in the Nexus 4
images on two channels; the ubuntu-touch/stable (aka
ubuntu-touch/ubuntu-rtm/14.09) channel, and the
ubuntu-touch/vivid-proposed-customized-here channel (which will soon be
renamed to ubuntu-touch/devel-proposed/here).  It is not included in the
ubuntu-touch/devel channel, not because we don't have a license for it but
because the software does not meet Ubuntu's definition of software freedom
to be enabled by default.

The ultimate goal is to make the agps support available for enablement via
the phone store, which will give all our Nexus 4 users the choice of whether to enable HERE. In the near term, however, we haven't solved the problem of
putting this in the store as an add-on package, so the only way we can
provide for both use cases is with separate channels with or without HERE
included.

--
Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device