Re: routing

lets talk about doing it properly.

text to speech can be done quite nicely with an offboard openMary server, if we have the route we can make the voices happen. You can run a speech synth on the device (I have, it works, it is a bit slow) but there is no real need to do so. OpenStreetmap data powers OSRM http://map.project-osrm.org/ which is a web service that can return a route between two waypoints, it is pretty good, it returns a json format containing the route geometry and the turn instructions

https://router.project-osrm.org/viaroute?z=14&output=json&jsonp=OSRM.JSONP.callbacks.route&checksum=1921722824&loc=51.212166,-0.795507&hint=RZ4NADoRyAN9GAAACQAAAAoAAABAAAAAFAAAAD4p2QUAAAAAg28NA43c8_8CABEA&loc=51.249680,-0.763185&hint=RxO1BEoTtQSHQTAAKQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP____8AAAAADgIOA89a9P8AABEA&instructions=true

the turn instructions are like this:

Head southwest onto Abbey Street - 0.10 km
Turn right onto A287 - 0.16 km
Turn slight right onto Victoria Road - 0.22 km
Turn right onto A325 - 44 m
Continue onto B3001 - 0.13 km
Turn slight left - 49 m
Continue onto A31 - 1.22 km
Enter roundabout and leave at third exit onto A325 - 0.15 km
Enter roundabout and leave at first exit onto A325 - 0.43 km
Enter roundabout and leave at third exit onto Weybourne Road - 48 m
Turn slight left onto B3007 - 1.77 km
Turn left onto Ayling Lane - 0.53 km
Turn slight left onto Ayling Hill - 0.17 km
Turn right onto B3008 - 0.55 km
Turn left onto Lime Street - 0.14 km
Enter roundabout and leave at third exit onto Alexandra Road - 0.15 km
Turn left onto Barrack Road - 73 m
Turn slight left onto B3007 - 36 m
Continue onto High Street - 0.33 km
Turn right onto Bakehouse Mews - 26 m
You have reached your destination

so, we can get the turn instructions, we can get the latlng of the start of each leg of the journey, we can get the text as a sound file. Lets say we do all that, and I have a list of sound files I want to play when I get to an appropriate place to play them. How do we get the right sound file to play when we are approaching the start of the leg? Some kind of geofencing event interface? Is there an operating system facility to wake up an app when the GPS enters an alarm area?

Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of getting it wrong and going off-route and recalculating and finding a new route, but I think that is solvable if we can get some facility to do a geofencing wake up.

Alan.