Experimental instructions for use of Ubuntu PC programs (X11 via Xmir)

Hello,

I have seen nothing about this topic on this mailing list although it's
a core feature for Ubuntu phone hackers. So developers (hello and
thanks) and especially Maarten Lankhorst (hello and special thanks too!)
with the PPA please excuse that some of ourselves can't longer wait for
using the PPA at our own risk.

I know the statement that it is not stable enough even for the
development channel but there is a PPA. Elsewhere there is a youtube
video with a script for Xmir. But some steps you need in preparation and
in completion.

At the German community ubuntuusers.de I got it to work with the tipps
from these sources above (via user whazzup there) and one night of
reading and testing.

So I wrote a experimental guide for this experimental feature but for
today only in German:

E X P E R I M E N T AL and at your own risk:
http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Baustelle/Ubuntu_Touch_Erweiterte_Konfiguration#Programme
It is still an early version of the guide and may be incomplete.

If you need some translations please first try
http://translate.google.de/ but don't try to use translated commands! If
you need more translations, help or have feedback for the tutorial, you
are very welcome.

Linked Steps in English:

1. system partition backup
2. flashing of vivid-proposed (you have not to loose data but near-by
and today scope and here maps)
3. writable system
4. PPA ppa:mlankhorst/ppa, install libepoxy xorg-server via apt-get
5. chance desktop file like the example there for small dillo web browser
6. Xmir script as in the example
7. update app scope by wiping down
8. device (BQ E4.5 tested) in landscape mode and start the new "app"
dillo (or whatever you want to test)

For details please use some English or localized instructions on other
web sources, your experience or tipps for commands in my link but be
aware of the warnings!

Some hints and questions:

Maybe some programs are not in usable or good proportions.

Please notice that there is no software keyboard support at the moment
and I don't know if or when this will chance. But hardware keyboard by
OTG usb cable or PC will perform.

Maybe a developer or you get a solution? I only know the possibility to
restart the keyboard service in background by:
restart maliit-server
(without sudo if I remember right!)

Here is a picture of it:
http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum/attachments/09/16/7511913-dillo.png
Hint again: NO software keyboard support!

Feedback for others here on the list is desired too. But there is no
official and very limited unofficial support. But you can change this
and go this way together.

Please test and after (!) that transfer it to English and even your
local communities for more research and utilty but everywhere with
warnings for the experimental stage! I'm no developer but only a highly
active community member. No developer would ask for this I think. But we
community users we can.

Greetings, lgd (Benno-007, user of UU)

Follow ups