Re: bq Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition Factory Mode

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 1:26 AM, sturmflut <sturmflut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> today I discovered a "hidden" Factory Mode in the bq Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu
> Edition. It can be accessed the following way:
>

> - Power off the device
>
> - Press the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons for more than ten seconds. The
> device will boot while you are pressing the buttons, so keep pressing.
>

> In short it offers tests for all of the device's hardware components,
> including cameras, Bluetooth, GPS, FM Radio etc. As far as I know this
> mode is only available on devices manufactured by HTC, such as the
> Aquaris E4.5 (krillin), and not on other devices such as the Meizu MX4.
>
> I documented my findings at [1]. Would be great if somebody could fill
> in the blanks, e.g. the necessary environment for the WiFi test.

Nice discovery!

For the WiFi, it tries to *associate* with any open WiFi AP.
Once it associates, it will show:

SSID : <the SSID of the open WiFi AP>
MAC : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx (the open WiFi AP in my case)
Mode : Infrastructure
Channel : -2 (in my case, however the real channel was 1)
RSSI : -86 dBm (in my case)
RATE: 54 M (in my case)

Wireshark says that when you try the Wi-Fi test,
1. the phone sends a Probe Request packet with empty SSID
2. the AP sends back a Probe Response with details about supported modes,
etc.
3. the phone sends back an Acknowledgement.
4. the phone sends an Authentication request
5. the AP sends back an Acknowledgement
6. the phone sends an Association Request
7. the AP replies with an Association Response.

If you click to "Renew", the phone sends a Deauthentication packet before
trying again to probe for a new network.

Simos