Re: Install Ubuntu on MX4

Hey Krzysztof,

On 06.05.2015 12:11, Krzysztof Tataradziński wrote:
> I see that here
>
> http://sturmflut.github.io/ubuntu/touch/2015/05/06/hacking-ubuntu-touch-part-2-devices-and-images/
>
> MX4 device is listed. Is there a possibility to install it on existing phone?

Nice to see that you read my blog ;)

I just included the MX4 in the ASCII art drawing because I knew that
there will be an Ubuntu version of it soon. Currently there doesn't seem
to be a public channel with images for this device, and there might also
be a number of problems:

- AFAIK there are two versions of the phone, the chinese one and the
international one. The chinese one has a locked bootloader and the
international one has an open one. Some resellers in the EU imported the
chinese version, so you have to pay attention to which version you've got.

- AFAIK Android uses a different partition layout than Ubuntu Touch.
This is one of the reasons why you can't easily install Ubuntu Touch on
an the bq Aquaris E4.5 Android version. Depending on the device you need
a special tool to change the partition layout, e.g. for the Aquaris
there is a tool by MediaTek.

If anybody knows more than I do, please do correct me.

kind regards,
Simon