Remote terminal to Aquaris E4.5 - how?

I just got my first linux phone today - Aquaris E4.5 and wanted to hook it up to my laptop and start messing around through terminal. But I can't seem to be able to get in touch with it. From what I've read so far, adb should be involved somehow, but the device doesn't show up anywhere. I tried it from the Ubuntu SDK too, and it didn't list any device either.

I was pointed to Ubuntu touch - remote access to device <http://askubuntu.com/questions/538129/ubuntu-touch-remote-access-to-device> as a possible duplicate of this question, but it's not because:

 * The device never shows up in my SDK when I connect the USB
 * When I try apt-get on my device, I get "not using locking for read
   only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock (which means in turn it can't
   write to dpkg soucres)
 * My linux mint (17.1 rebecca) distro's phablet-tools package doesn't
   even include phablet-shell

Is it supposed to be as simple as just plugging the usb and then it gets detected, or are there other woodoo tricks to it?

PS is there a way to search this mailing list archive by keywords in any way?

Follow ups