Can we make renames work?

Hello,

We sometimes come across bugs where software expects to be able to
rename files to work properly (either to atomically update, or perhaps
to disable some functionality). This doesn't work with our read-only
partition layout. We know how to work around this limitation by making
code changes, for example

  https://code.launchpad.net/~seb128/whoopsie-preferences/touch-writable-image/+merge/259531

to make use of a symlink into a writable directory. It's not a great
solution, not least because we have to implement it on a case-by-case
basis and we don't have any good way of proactively spotting the bugs -
they typically manifest themselves by settings not being saved but
people usually do not check for rename failures or surface these to the
user.

Can anyone think of a way to fix this class of problem and remove the
need for us to have to go and patch code? Or at least to detect these
rename failures (check for EROFS) and aggregate them somewhere so that
they can be fixed. This is on touch - I'm not sure if snappy does
anything different here.

Iain Lane                                  [ iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ laney@xxxxxxxxxx ]