Image based updates

Hi all,

I am wondering how the image based update mechanism handles manually installed Debian packages.

A few months ago I started contributing to multiple system services. I always compile the project on my phone and install the generated Debian packages. Can anyone tell me what happens if I update my phone in the following cases while having these packages installed?

1) The system update does not update the manually installed packages.
2) The system update brings different versions of the manually installed packages. 3) And out of curiosity: The package is not included in the system images by default.

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,
Niklas

Follow ups