Re: How does Ubuntu report itself?

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Vicamo Yang <vicamo.yang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Gecko_user_agent_string_reference
>
> Maybe any string contains "Mobile" would be enough?
> FirefoxOS uses "Mobile" without the OS part, so probably Ubuntu Phone can
> have "Ubuntu; Mobile" instead.

We experimented quite extensively with that in the past (our initial
approach was, as suggested by mozilla, a minimal UA string), and
unfortunately it didn’t cut it. Mozilla has taken the hard route, and
their effort is admirable, but it’s an uphill battle that we can’t
afford to fight now (I hope this changes in the future). We’ve chosen
a pragmatic approach. Note that the browser advertises itself as
"Ubuntu like Android", meaning that it still allows for proper
detection.