Re: [ubuntu-phone] Offline routing application - Publishing problems

On 06/02/2015 09:38 PM, Christian Dywan wrote:
> Hey Frans,
>
> First off, I'm looking forward to it. Proper offline navigation is
> sorely needed!
Well, you can already download it and build using ubuntu-sdk. Until I
found a solution for publishing in the app-store.

> However frankly requiring a lengthy map conversion process on a
> separate PC will impede adoption. Everyone doesn't have a beefy
> machine sitting at home. Plus you need to understand it. And most
> crucially, and I think I'm not the exception, when you know you need
> that map you may already be on the road, with no access to that beefy
> or possibly any computer.
I can imagine this. I am willing to build the maps using an automated
build script. I have already hosted the benelux map on my website,
however I need more space to host worldwide maps. Maybe Ubuntu /
Canonical can supply some hosting space somewhere? The way the app works
now is by copying the maps to the SD card manually.

> I realize I'm not providing the answer you're asking for. But as I am
> very interested in this project, this is my feedback: Figure out
> hosting, and ways to downsize the files. The HERE app on Android shows
> that it can be done.
I am surely looking into downsizing the maps, but for now they are just
big (however also detailed)