Re: [ubuntu-phone] Offline routing application - Publishing problems

On 06/03/2015 02:25 PM, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> On 06/02/2015 02:10 PM, Frans Schreuder wrote:
> This is a complicated topic and currently app-access to the SD card is not fully
> implemented. This has been discussed in the past and the main points are:
>
>  * we don't want to allow a shared storage area like <SD CARD>/freeforall
>    because that breaks application isolation
>  * we could try to do something like:
>      owner <SD CARD>/<USER>/<PKGNAME>/** rwk
>    similar to the app-specific directories in /home, but that only works well
>    with Linux filesystems (eg, ext4) because some filesystems may not support
>    case-sensitivity, separate UIDs (for multiuser systems) or long filenames
>  * Most things in Ubuntu Touch aren't aware of the SD CARD and the user
>    experiences have not been defined

> I've included Thomas Voß in this email because he may have more information on
> the current status. Thomas (please forward if someone else knows),
>  * what is the current status of SD CARD access by apps, especially wrt
>    multiuser (UID mappings), case-insensitivity and short filenames? Is there a
>    roadmap?

A few moments ago we got all the right people in a hangout to discuss how to
support SD Card access with apps and we have a preliminary design that addresses
the aforementioned complexities, maintains application isolation and allows apps
to use the SD Card without any additional privileges (ie, won't be blocked for
manual review in the store).

Thomas Voß will now shape this into a proper design spec and present this here
in the coming weeks.