Re: [Design] Improvement to the Screen Border Gestures and Widgets

On Tue, 2015-06-30 at 15:41 +0200, ubuntuphonefb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It has the potential to render home/menu buttons on the front obsolete
> with ease in my opinion and thus leaving more space for the screen.

It has already achieved this. There are no home/menu buttons on my Nexus
4, and there has been no need for these buttons since the initial
developer release over 2 years ago.

> You are currently using a whole border for one fixed widget (e.g. the
> info center on top). I had the following idea how this could be
> improved: Let's divide each border into multiple parts to get more
> such interaction borders. A division of three parts on the long and
> two on the short side should work well for most device sizes.

With no visual indication, this would just be really confusing. The top
bar does have a visual indicator, and because of that, it is possible to
access different settings by sliding down different indicators. So,
actually, the top edge essentially has several (around 5-10) different
areas to interact with.

> Ten is huge number for widgets. A few ideas which crossed my mind (*
> == already exist):
> - system settings

Some of the entries in the indicators open to common locations in system
settings (like network settings, sound settings etc.). I can't imagine
needing to launch the settings app often enough to need a gesture for
it.