Files to keep on userdata reset

Hey all,

we recently fixed the device user data reset functionality (see LP #1419928) to erase really all files in /userdata which wasn't the case before (like we missed hidden files for examples).

With that being fixed we now came to the point that some files shouldn't be removed on /userdata reset which are important for the system and as they are mounted writeable and are placed by nature in /userdata/system-data they get erased on reset as well. Good example for this is /userdata/.last_update which is used to display the last time the device was updated in the settings application.

To overcome this we're now planing to whitelist certain files which we don't drop on device reset. To not miss anything I am opening the discussion here to include all important people.

Files we know about which shouldn't be dropped on reset:

/userdata/.last_update
/userdata/.last_ubuntu-build

I listed all others I found in /userdata/ and /userdata/system-data which we need to consider and take a decision for at https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/spreadsheets/d/1cNAEHh-TdhlSYpVycM3ClN6Tc9-FmtbRHylTk99q8YQ/edit?usp=sharing

Please raise your hand if you feel any of those might be worth to keep.

regards,
Simon

Follow ups