What moving to GCC5 means for the phone and app developers

On Friday, July 31 (tomorrow) the Wily archive will switch to the new
toolchain using the GCC 5 compiler starting with the proposed pocket. As
previously communicated on ubuntu-devel, this introduces a binary
incompatibility and all archive packages are being recompiled. This means
that most apps and scopes in the store will no longer run on Wily phone
images that are installed from the devel-proposed channel.

We encourage all app and scope developers to remain on the stable or
rc-proposed channels which will of course continue to be compatible for the
foreseeable future and are the basis for all products that are shipping to
customers.

We are currently benchmarking various approaches to support the transition
to the next commercial release of Ubuntu for phones. We will work closely
together with app and scope developers to support that transition. In the
meantime we thank you for your patience.

Cheers
Pat

Follow ups