Re: buildd resources are still scarce, please enable parallel builds for packages using the ci-train

On 2 August 2015 at 20:38, Matthias Klose <doko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> unfortunately I had to spend much more time than I wanted on getting
> ubuntu-touch ready for GCC 5.  One of the things noted at least for some
> packages is that these are built sequentially, and don't use parallel makes.
>
> An example patch to enable parallel builds can be found in LP: #1480661.
>
> Why is this important?  All the ubuntu-touch packages are built using the
> ci-train, which have higher priority on the buildds than all other uploads to
> the archive. When you guys are active during work hours, almost no other
> packages are built at least on arm64, ppc64el and powerpc, delaying the builds
> for the archive.  Getting the archive ready for GCC 5 will require us to rebuild
> around 4000 source packages during the next weeks, so we will compete about
> buildd resources and will raise the priority for some of these builds manually.
>
> It also would speed up our regular test rebuilds of the archive, and would
> enable us again to do complete test rebuilds (including universe and half of the
> ubuntu-touch stack) on the architectures mentioned above.
>
> If you like your build log sequential and maybe colorized, you still can do this
> for local builds.
>
> Thanks for you help, Matthias

One thing worth noting is that adding --parallel to the build options
for a cmake project will also cause the tests to be run in parallel.
This caused problems for some of our tests that were not written with
parallel execution in mind, and also made the build logs much more
difficult to understand due to the interleaved output.

To keep the build process parallel but the test runs sequential, we
also added the following stanza to the debian/rules file:

override_dh_auto_test:
        dh_auto_test --max-parallel=1 -- ARGS="--verbose"

James.