Re: Bluez 5 in wily coming, stay on vivid series if you need working bluetooth

On 12.08.2015 10:30, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
Le 12/08/2015 10:23, Marco A. Harrendorf a écrit :

When the Bluez5 is landed in Wily will we have also a support for the
MAP specification and maybe an interface to a MAP server?

The MAP protocol is used by apps to share notifications with connected
bluetooth devices. E.g. MAP is used to read SMS aloud in a car bluetooth
system.

In my opinion it would be fantastic if we would have an interface to a
MAP server in the upcoming wily release which can be called by apps, so
that e.g. the Telegram client could send new messages to my car
bluetooth device and it get read aloud. That is really a feature which I
am missing from Android.

What are the chances to get this functionality soon?
Should I file a bug / wishlist against Bluez in this regard?

Hey,

I've no idea about that. It would be good to have and anyone is free to
work on it, if you are interested and feel like starting the project
please do. You can also open a wishlist (unsure bluez itself is the
right place though)

Generally BlueZ supports MAP with the version we're going to land in wily. However nobody makes use of it and that is what somebody has to implement. We need components on the desktop and the phone to implement the client/server roles and then let them push notifications. Also BlueZ 4.x we're using on the phone at the moment supports MAP but nobody every tried to use it so feel free to start playing with it :)

regards,
Simon