Re: Preparing for larger images

hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 27.08.2015, 11:14 +0100 schrieb John McAleely:
> As we begin to prepare for new features associated with converged
> devices, it seems likely that some image configurations will be *much*
> larger than our current phone images on system-image.ubuntu.com

not sure how far our plans to move the converged devices to snappy go
yet, but i think it is worth to mention that snappy is in the process of
getting rid of system-image and turn everything into a snap (rootfs
being its own snap, device tarball becoming a snap etc)... at least for
upgrades this means that device and rootfs will start being upgradeable
independently which will reduce the size of the single upgrade.

also 500MB of compressed data for libreoffice seems to be pretty
extensive, are you sure that value is for the compressed data used
inside the image and not the footprint on disk after decompression (i
would not expect an xz compressed libreoffice to need more than 100MB) ?

ciao
	oli