About development struggles

Hello.

First I apologize if what I will explain its because of my misunderstanding
or if did something wrong.

I have at least 2 month trying to develop a native Facebook app. I like
Ubuntu phone proposal and I like the road that is set for it. So I want to
contribute to it with something end users will love. I always thought that
native applications are much faster and nicest than html5 apps or webapps
like in this case for Facebook.

So I follow the guides on the developers.ubuntu.com and install the Ubuntu
SDK or QTCreator IDE then an emulator since I don't have a real phone. Here
comes my first struggle, there are so many channels and that multiplied by
the arch which should I use. First of all for starters developers I thing
that should be just a simple option and easy to start developing with the
latest and proposed options. Then we could have more customizable options
so experts can choose the options they want. Now about the real issue that
present to me, I create an emulator for the developer channel using i386
arch since should be fastest that armhf but I end up with an emulator with
and old image and after that the SDK do not recognize the device. So I
start again this time choosing an stable and this time I end up with a
device looking like desktop. At the end after a lot of trials I manage to
create a device, nice lets move on.

I got to the options SDK section and select to create one for my arch with
the latest 15.04 version. With my slow connection this took at least 5
tries since at least one package fails to download and the whole chroot
fails so I need to start again. This a real pain .. Is really annoying how
easily this can be broke. But finally it create one. Great.

So now I start my application to run on the device and what was my surprise
that the device image do not have the latest SDK 15.04 but 14.10. Tier of
trying I create another SDK target this time for the 14.10 version and run
my app again. This time to fail because the components 1.2 its not
available until 15.04.

Conclusions. It's really really hard to start developing and app with so
much tools to install and configure. If Ubuntu phone will have am
opportunity in the market its not just the OS but the collections of good
and common used apps like social networks that will attract end users other
wise Ubuntu phone will end up as same as on desktop just for developers and
enthusiast.

Please let try to move the things in a better direction I really think
uphone has a great future if we aim at the right target.

Follow ups