Re: Make alternate webapp container the default on Ubuntu Touch

Hi Peter, thanks for starting this discussion - you bring up some really good points.

Firstly, I think having webapps so well supported has been a great move by Canonical - its one of the things I like best about this new platform. The fact that I can have multiple websites open as their own application - and behaving like their own application - is enormously beneficial. The fact also that webapps are so easy to create front-end clients for is also really great - all the work is being done on the server side. As a first step to adding functionality to the platform, I think its been a great move.

The issues come from implementation, as you've already pointed out. The navigation bar at the top is one problem - many webapps have these, and don't need them. Others need some kind of navigation, and leave it in. I agree it would be better to find a different solution, however the default container has its benefits.

Ogra's alternative webapp is a great idea, but is missing several recently (last month or so) implemented features. Navigating outside of the webapp container now pulls up that site from the bottom of the screen, which I can close at anytime, rather than opening the browser. (this is awesome!) Also, copy and paste now works on rc-proposed - this hasn't been implemented with Ogra's container yet. Not sure what the plan is with these features, and if Oliver is interested in adding them, but that's already a couple differences.

In terms of always defaulting to the bottom edge navigation, several apps won't work well with this. I.e. - this wouldn't work for the ABC (Australian) Radio's website, which I've created an app for (not great as there's no content hub support yet), or the Sydney Morning Herald's mobile website, which uses the bottom edge for social media. While I love the bottom edge implementation, it doesn't work for all situations.

What would be better would be a template that gives options - this form of navigation could be one of them. And yes, a simple configuration file would be easier, so devs don't need to hunt through the main.qml file unless needed for something else.

Part of the problem with webapps though comes from how easy it is to create them - I'm guilty of this myself - and that until someone learns what they are doing, its very easy to create crap ones. I.e. - a decent webapp requires lots of testing to get the web-url matching patterns right, or its pretty pointless. Then there's account integration (if needed), content-hub support, navigation options (fullscreen? navigation bar?), url-matching from scopes and other apps, splash screen, etc.

Unfortunately, its very easy to publish crap webapps to the Ubuntu Store - its also very easy to publish really good ones, but most people don't take the time to do it. Also, for whatever reason, there was a webpage canonical published where people could create webapps from a simple form without using the sdk - I think this was a really bad idea. There was no pattern matching possible, and I suspect this has helped flood the store with useless 'site bookmarks'.

So yep, I agree with you that the container needs work, and it would be cool to see bottom edge navigation worked into it. I just don't think this should be default in all cases - or if it is, it should be easy to turn this off. Also, I think the concept of webapps - and the features this platform is supporting them with - are awesome. I think the crap nature of many of the webapps in the store stems from people who haven't gotten their heads around it yet - not sure what to do about that yet.

Cheers,

Mitchell