Re: Can't flash my Arale (tried a bunch of different suggestions)

On 09/08/2015 09:34 AM, John McAleely wrote:
It seems possible to me there are several different problems, all
manifesting as 'flashing is unstable'.

Most of the time, if not always, the problem for me is that the USB connection is unstable, and adb ends up dying. I've never had problems with the actual flash once the bits are pushed to the phone.

Early in the development of arale I too got to the point where I couldn't update at all. I managed to limp along by leveraging ssh and manually pushing the files to the device via scp which was tedious to say the least.

FWIW, I flash a *lot* of devices and flash cycles, and on two machines
(Macbook Pro 10,2; Lenovo workstation; both Trusty) my experience is
rock-solid. My experience is dominated by krillin/vegetahd, but I have
flashed a number of arale, nexus and other devices. I use the MTK
flashing tools also, both from Ubuntu (often fails on first flash, fine
second and subsequent) and Windows VMs.

When we've asked for support for this from OEMs, they've struggled to
reproduce the problem(s). Among their engineering teams, the experience
is that flashing via USB works well.

As a community I'd expect us to be more diverse than OEM engineering
teams in our versions of Ubuntu & the kernel in use, and also host
hardware systems. Clearly any problem emerging from that diversity could
be on the host pc or the devices.

So, for those experiencing problems, what versions of host-side software
do you run?

I generally find the best results using my older Thinkpad T410s which is running 15.04. It has two USB 2.0 ports and I find that the rear (yellow) always-on USB port gives me the best results. Note, even using this laptop flashing isn't 100% reliable, and sometimes it takes me two or three attempts to flash.

My newer Macair (mid-2013), also running 15.04 is unusable for flashing arale, and even for general development ( pulling/pushing logs, debs, ... ), I have to use scp to push/pull files. My Mac only has USB 3.0 ports. When I connect an arale to it, I see the following lots of USB errors reported in the syslog of my Mac.

Ex:

Sep 8 10:53:04 shrike kernel: [ 4616.766054] usb 1-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd adb rqt 128 rq 6 len 256 ret -71

Note - this is on my newest arale, which I was told has the USB hardware fix ( which was only applicable to pre-production arales ).

More recently, my krillin has started to occasionally have issues ( adb/USB instability ) with flashing as well. I used to always flash with Ubuntu running on the device, but not more frequently than not, am only able to flash my krillin after rebooting it into recovery.

The one thing that puzzles me was that out of the box, both of my arales worked flawlessly with my Macair for 3-4 weeks, then began to fail.

/tony