Re: If Gmail can, why other apps can't?

It looks like the Gmail webapp has a server-side counterpart to it that
receives your emails and sends them to your device using Ubuntu's normal
push notification service (which anyone can use):
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/platform/guides/push-notifications-server-guide/

This is also in use in some other apps like Twitter; it doesn't mean the
app is running in the background constantly, it's just using polld to
receive notifications.

Cheers.