 Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-phone] The problem with "no background processing for	apps"
 To: "Thomas Voß" <thomas.voss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Cc: "Ubuntu Touch" <ubuntu-phone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Thursday, 1 October, 2015, 13:23

 Surly reserving the
 right, should be an informed user decision.  Could we not
 make it easier to choose how we want to run our phones?

 Nokia when they launched
 the N9, has a locked down linux distro, but once enabling
 the developer mode it give you the freedom to do with the
 phones as we pleased.

 Could we not adopt some similar approach
 for 0% resources if you choose a different profile your
 applications get different resource available to them,
 believe me the terminal on the ubuntu touch is useless, you
 cannot do a trace or a ping and switch to a browser without
 is suspending or your ssh session timing out.

 Surly it would be easier
 now, rather than later to build some kind of multitasking
 group, that apps a user does not want to switched to 0%
 resources can be added to or agreed with so that the app can
 continue to run in the background.

 Thanks

 Craig

 On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 3:08
 PM, Thomas Voß <thomas.voss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Craig
 Harper <dexteruk75@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

 > I also really thing something should be done about
 this, even if you create

 > a user override, allowing applications to multitask in
 the background.  Like

 > you give permissions for applications to use the GPS.
 Then the battery life

 > would be the users choice, personally i was looking for
 a Linux machine in

 > my pocket that is what got me excited about Ubuntu
 Touch, but instead i got

 > smoke an mirrors, i use Linux a lot in my life,
 computers make our lives

 > easier when they are working for us 24/7 not only when
 we are looking at the

 > screen.  Choosing Open Source over closed source is
 about freedom, so any

 > choice should be based on user choice not some top down
 idea, force onto

 > everyone.

 > Lets get this fixed.

 lp:unity8 and lp:qtmir if you want to start
 experimenting with

 different lifecycle policies.

 All the code is readily available to everyone.

 > Linux without Multi Tasking really is not forward
 thinking.

 Oh, we are actually multi-tasking :) we only reserve
 the right to

 limit resources granted to applications if they are not
 visible to the

 user.

 On the phone, we take an extreme position and execute as in
 "0%

 resources". That does not mean that we are not
 multi-tasking though.

   Thomas

 <fredrikfritte@xxxxxxxxx>

 > wrote:

 >> Dont know if this is all programs, but i wanna be
 able to play some music

 >> maybe in a browser or music app and be able to
 switch to other scopes/apps

 >> Den 2015-10-01 kl. 13:25, skrev Alan Bell:

 >>> I quite agree, even if it is a user preference
 it would be fine, I would

 >>> choose to have multitasking when the screen is
 on. I find it rather

 >>> frustrating on slow connections to be unable to
 background the web browser

 >>> to let it load something while I check on other
 things.

 >>> Alan.