Re: The problem with "no background processing for apps"

On 02/10/15 09:54, Thomas Voß wrote:
>> Don't lose sight of the unique selling point that the phone can be a
>> > general purpose computer.
>> >
> We certainly don't. I would argue that compiling code, browsing and
> emailing is not a typical mobile device use-case.
> Now that does not mean that those tasks won't be executed on the
> device, just in a different usage scenario, i.e., docked and connected
> monitor, keyboard and mouse. A transition to a different usage
> scenario justifies or even demands altering the lifecycle policy and
> allowing things to
> run in the background.

I simply want a general purpose computer, not a phone that transform
into one only with a bunch of hardware.

Really, there's a phone here compiling code and could also be used to
write emails (like this one). It doesn't *need* (or currently have) a
monitor, keyboard, mouse or power attached for that. (And yes, I
understand the power trade off - that's why it will be plugged in shortly.)

--
Alan Griffiths  +44 (0)798 9938 758
Octopull Ltd    http://www.octopull.co.uk/