Re: The problem with "no background processing for apps"

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 5:04 PM, sturmflut <sturmflut@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey Thomas,
>
> On 02.10.2015 16:44, Thomas Voß wrote:
>
>> Let's make sure that we are untangling the lifecycle policy discussion
>> we are having here from the
>> discussion of enabling apps to prevent the device from going to deep
>> sleep. The latter one can be solved and
>> both you and me have been talking about the solution. With that,
>> keeping the tracking app in the foreground is perfectly fine.
>>
>> Screen goes off, devices stays operational, problem solved :)
>

> Wait.
>
> So we would then have three cases?

Sure, this topic is orthogonal to the lifecycle discussion, though.

> 1) The focused app does nothing, after a while the screen turns off and
> the app is frozen completely.
>
> 2) The focused app disables the screensaver, the screen stays on and
> everything keeps running as long as the app stays focused.
>
> 3) The focused app does not disable the screensaver, but disables deep
> sleep. The screen turns off after a while, but the app continues to run.

Yup, we have been discussing this topic previously, and mzanetti even
made a first attempt at landing an impl iirc.
It requires iteration, but it's definitely on the roadmap.

Cheers,

  Thomas