How to import photos into Gallery?

There must be a simple solution but I can't figure it out...

I have a folder of a few hundred photos I'd like to keep on my phone and
view with the Gallery.  I copied them over via ssh into
~/Pictures/Favourites.  But Gallery doesn't pick them up.  I tried
moving the Favourites directory into com.ubuntu.camera, no difference.
And I noticed some weirdness with permissions which I cleaned up by just
making everything in Pictures globally readable and writable.  Still not
visible in Gallery.

How am I supposed to copy photos onto the phone?  Am I supposed to do
some kind of mediascanner magic?

Follow ups