Re: Spying features in Ubuntu

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Peter Bittner <peter.bittner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I've accidentally come across a Richard Stallman interview on Ubuntu.
He's mainly concerned about the spying feature of Ubuntu's dash when
you do a search on your device.

RMS is displaying his usual flair for the dramatic. In Unity 7, searches in the Dash go to all scopes by default. If you have remote scopes installed (and there are some installed by default), your searches will go out on the network.

In earlier versions, this was not well advertised and difficult to disable. Since then, I believe there is more notification of this during install and a single button to turn off all remote searches by default. It's not set to "Off" by default, and that's not good enough for RMS.

Will the spying feature then also be on all phones one day?

In Unity 8 [1], the phone and future-desktop environment, scopes work differently. Searches go to a single scope at a time. Some scopes will return local results, some will return remote results, and some will aggregate results from other scopes (potentially both local and remote). I don't know what the default scope will be, but I would anticipate an aggregate scope sourcing some remote content. Since the user can easily control which scope is being used, this set up strikes me as much more reasonable than the Unity 7 model. Whether it's good enough for RMS is another matter.

I hope these details are right,
Robert

[1] Yes, a single project has produced two incompatible versions of a package named "Unity". Let us take a minute to appreciate the irony.