Re: Japanese IME support on Ubuntu Phone

On 2015-11-29 13:09 , David Kuehling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to get a new phone and am concidering going for an Ubuntu Phone.
>
> Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu [1] or E5.0 HD Ubuntu [2] can be readily bought here
> in Germany and I consider getting one of these.  But: I absolutely need
> to be able to write japanese emails on those phones.  Can somebody tell
> me whethere current Firmware available for these phones has a usable
> Japanese IME that is usable with the Mail app on Ubuntu-Phone?

To my surprise, no, it doesn't seem to have Japanese.  Scottish Gaelic
yes, but not Japanese.

As to usable... I don't know if Kanji is important to you, but I'm using
Chinese and you need really good predictive text to type efficiently.
This is a real pain point for me - Bug #1488705
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/messaging-app/+bug/1488705>.

If it gets implemented at all, it'll work fine in all circumstances:
mail, SMS, etc.