Re: FM Radio info collection

Good morning Thomas,

thanks for the detailed list!

> [1.] Add a (potentially limited) API to lp:platform-api, that exposes
> a simple common C interface to the Ubuntu side.

I'm looking at the FM radio features the different chipsets support and
what a common API could look like. The Qt Radio interfaces are a good
start, but e.g. this morning I noticed that at least the MediaTek
chipsets also seem to have some support for FM transmit. No idea if this
actually works though, and if e.g. bq made sure the audio output is
connected to the FM transmitter.

> [2.] Provide an implementation of the API in platform-api/android (see
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~phablet-team/platform-api/trunk/files/head:/android/)

Ah, thanks for the pointer. I have a bit of test code for the MediaTek
chipset in the Aquaris E4.5 to see if things work at all, if they work
it was my plan to do any future work against the proper platform bits.

> [3.] Expose the respective hardware functionality to media-hub.
> Multiple ways are possible, but we would need to significantly adjust
> the interfaces
> to support fm radio semantics (switching stations, rds, automatic scans etc.)
> [4.] Adjust Qt's radio abstraction and come up with a Ubuntu Touch
> specific backend implementation, that either:
>   [4.1] Leverages the API in [1.] directly (would require any app to
> have special privileges in accessing the system).
>   [4.2] Leverages the API in [3.] (which is the clean way of
> integration FM radio support).
>
> For starters, [1.], [2.], [2.1] and [4.1] should be good enough to get started.

I fully agree. Let's see what we can come up with.

cheers,
Simon