Re: [idea] how to get popular apps from other mobile markets

Just as an example it is possible to use freedomsponsors.org to vote and/or
sponsor any open source development.
They take 3% of payment, which is not great but is fine for me if it helps
generating open source code.

Here is a project:
https://freedomsponsors.org/search/?project_id=323&operation=SPONSOR

It points to github 'wanted apps' tracker which can be used for progress or
requirements artifacts:
https://github.com/cyberb/uapps

Later it is possible to create project specific repo when and if it comes
to it.

By the way, I am not connected in any way with freedomsponsors, just like
the idea and used it once to pay for implementing missing feature in Apache
Actime MQ .Net library and it worked.

Thanks!

On 14 Dec 2015 14:27, "Boris Rybalkin" <ribalkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nobody says Canonical should start copying popular apps, we are talking
about users who want their ubers and whatsups right now and willing to pay
for its development.

> I personally think this is potentially a future open source business
model, when users pay once for development instead of many times for a
product copy.

> Of cause I will have to wait for "eventuality" to come otherwise :)
>
> On 14 Dec 2015 14:11, "yoann piconcely" <yoanncooljazz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I do agree with Alan, all those apps will come eventually...but first we
need to make a great phone with all that open-source world can give to us
(and it's huge).

>> Video call, sip, and doing something with the cricle of lock
screen.....and maybe the ability to change size of icons and background on
scopes....

>> I use it with nexus 4 rc_proposed and the experience is really good
now...Except some weird roation of screen when i unlock it.....

>>> I think it is more important to have a unique selling point, trying to
match other platforms app by app and feature by feature ends up building
something that is designed for chasing the market segment "people who would
rather have an iPhone". This doesn't seem to me like a great market.
>>> Going for unique features unmatched in other platforms would be my
suggestion.

>>> Make a big thing of the circle on the lock screen, put a clock and more
cool stuff in it, insist manufacturers make the case cutout like the Bq
one, and find a round smart watch that can mirror the circle and have some
synergy with the phone.

>>> Make the dialler have native SIP/IAX2 and have it integrate with
Asterisk.

>>> Sell Asterisk Ubuntu servers, SIP trunks and a bulk pack of handsets as
a bundle.

>>> Fix webRTC in the browser and have video calling integrated with the
dialler.

>>> Finally, concentrate on making it the best phone to have if you use a
ton of other open source stuff.

>>> Alan.

the progress. But I feel like I have no hands comparing to Android as I
miss many essential apps.

campaigns to port essential apps right by their original creators, but this
time people pay for them?

authors beforehand that it is possible and help them with docs.