Re: Find out if running on a phone

> On 11 Jan 2016, at 14:12 , Robert Park <robert.park@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Pardon my ignorance, buy can you not just check which codecs are installed/in use and then make the right decisions based on that? It is a really bad practice to write code that says "desktops be like this while phones be like that" because you never know when one day a new device might come along that shatters your expectations.
>
> Feature detection > device detection

I agree with the sentiment. But how would I, from a confined process, work out what’s installed? I won’t even be allowed to look there.

I guess I can conclude that, if I’m not allowed to look, I’m confined. And, if I’m allowed to look, use what I can see. But it also seems a very round-about way of figuring this out.

The real question actually is “If I thumbnail from an audio or video file, will I be using the android/hybris hardware codecs or a software codec?”

But there is no API for that either, as far as I know.

Michi.