Re: [Challenge] Ebook reader

On Mon, February 1, 2016 3:33 pm, Neil McPhail wrote:

> 1) It should be possible to add books from internet sites such as Project
> gutenberg
> 2) It should be possible to add books via USB cable from computer
> 3) It should be possible to add books via Bluetooth from another device
> 4) It should be possible to add books over WiFi from computer
> 5) It should be possible to store or add books from an SD card
> 6) Text-to-speech should continue when screen is off and...
> 7) ...displayed text should be updated to match the location of
> text-to-speech when the screen comes back on
> 8) The reading position should not be lost if the app is closed when
> text-to-speech is running
> 9) It should be possible to sync the library, reading positions etc to a
> central source
> 10) It should be possible to cut and paste from books in the app

Thanks to everyone who is contributing to the discussion. I think some
themes are beginning to crystalise:

(1),(2),(3),(4) are really the same problem. Passing data and sharing
information/content between apps and directories is not mature enough yet.
What is the preferred way forward here? Improve the capabilities and
documentation of Content Hub or relax apparmor restrictions to certain
"shared" directories?

(5) no strategy for this yet

(6),(7),(8) any input from the people looking after lifecycle management?
Again, will existing frameworks be improved, new frameworks added or
lifecycle management restrictions diluted? Is there an ETA for one or all
of these?

(9) I'm not quite following the thread of what is still switched on and
what is switched off (and what is switched on only because noone has
switched it off yet), as far as Ubuntu One is concerned. It _sounds_ like
the logical way to deal with this issue. How do we take this forward?

(10) Perhaps this is solved already.

So, perhaps we can distill the challenge to a few questions:
(1) What can be done to improve the passage of arbitrary data between apps?
(2) How do we get access to the SD card?
(3) How do we get useful information from Media Hub about content which
has been generated on-the-fly, and how can that content continue to be
generated when screen is off?
(4) Can we enumerate and document the capabilities of Ubuntu One?

If we can answer all of these questions, and implement the solutions,
Ubuntu will be a much better platform.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and/or reply.

NMP