[Development] Helping developing the base system

Hey there,

I am looking for getting my hands dirty with some free software development and was looking for something really meaningful. You have done a great job on Ubuntu for mobile devices so far.

Every now and then I realize some quirks, crashes, stuttering; annoyances of which I sometimes think I could track down myself and fix it. I am a developer myself, but I never developed operating systems or build system images and honestly I have no clue where to start to even make the slightest improvements.
I would be happy to help and it would be a great use of my time. If you could just point me to where I can read on to perform the following steps:

1.) Get the source for the Ubuntu base system.
2.) Make improvement.
3.) Send it back to the official developers.

That would be of enormous value to me.

Thanks,

Jacob

Follow ups