Re: gps not working since OTA-9.1

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Alan Bell <alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/03/16 19:51, Jean-Baptiste Lallement wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> The GPS toggle will be removed from the battery settings. The GPS chipset
>> already goes into powersave mode automatically when not in use and 2
>> settings for the GPS is just confusing.
>>
>> This is tracked in
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-system-settings/+bug/1520580
>>
>> JB.
>>

> the aggressive battery protection is kinda nice in some ways, the battery on
> the BQ lasts for *ages* I haven't had a smartphone that lasts so long,
> however if I turn on GPS and I have a GPS indicator in the top bar, I kind
> of expect the phone to know where it is at all times. If the GPS is in
> powersave mode and location services isn't being polled for updates so can't
> be bothered to wake it up, is there any point in displaying the GPS symbol
> in the top bar when it isn't doing anything? It would be good to have a
> control to wake up the GPS chip and get a fix that isn't a moving dot maps
> program so that you could get a fix prior to taking a photograph or using a
> web app that uses your position. The current situation implies that it is
> on, but it doesn't work - which might be good for battery life.

The visualization is indeed confusing as we are folding two states
into one. That is, we do not
distinguish between the overall location infrastructure being enabled
and the positioning engine
being active. We are working on fixing that, by surfacing both states
visually in the indicator.

> Maybe it would be better if the indicator icon changed colours, maybe red
> for "I am off, I will hand out the location of where you were last Tuesday
> to anyone who asks", blue for "I have a rough idea of where I am based on a
> reasonably recent GPS fix or HERE data" and green for "I know where I am, I
> see lots of satellites and have a good fix"

Along those lines, with a little less colors probably :)

 Thomas