Re: M10 Tablet - First Impressions

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 5:34 AM, Mitchell Reese <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi people, thought I'd post up a few initial impressions with the FHD M10
> tablet. Have had it for a couple days now and been putting it through it's
> paces. All up - great job! Awesome hardware, and the system is lots of fun
> to use.

Hi Mitchell,
great to hear you like it! :)

> Firstly, I'm typing this in desktop mode paired top a Logitech keyboard
> and hp bluetooth mouse. Keyboard works flawlessly, mouse works best when
> one or two apps are open. More causes it to stutter.

Have tried an external display a couple times - works great both with a
> projector and smaller tv monitor.
> Overall the tablet works well, and is shaping up to be a great experience.
> Here are a few bugs I found so far - feel free to let me know the best
> place to report them and I'll post them up.
>
> 1. Mouse gets very laggy when more than a couple apps are open - very hard
> to scroll, let alone move it anywhere. Is this hardware related (i.e., not
> enough power yet), or OS (i.e., still being optimised)?
> 2. Switching between apps in desktop mode is very slow - worse with a
> mouse, however still slow with touch if more than a couple apps are open.
> Again - is this hardware or OS related?
> 3. Bug in initial download of the updated 10.1 ota - couldn't do it until
> I changed the timezone to manually with my location. 4. Love the sidestage,
> however took me time to work out that I needed to tap with three fingers on
> the screen to dismiss it. Very slick now, but without saying this
> somewhere, it's difficult to figure out. Would be best on the instructions
> on the side stage when no app is there to say this, or at the very least
> the first time it's run.
> 5. In general, the system still has a fair bit of lag - noticeable when
> switching scopes, and watching videos while streaming (youtube, etc.) Again
> - OS or software related?
> 6. X11 apps are confusing. The gui is different (ouch! So small!!!!!!),
> and on screen keyboard doesn't work with them. Imho, I think there should
> be a seperate 'legacy apps' scope. Bundling them together with other apps
> that work great (Dekko, Unav, etc.) gives the impression they should also
> work as well. They don't.

On screen keyboard support in X11 apps is work-in-progress  -->
https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-pocket-desktop/+bug/1543351

> 7. Libreoffice is usable with a keyboard and mouse, but the font for all
> the settings is miniscule. This makes it painful to read. Would be great if
> there was some way to manually change this.
> 8. GPS doesn't work with the tablet - the daemon seems to continually be
> restarting, making it unusable. The only option has been to disable it
> entirely. Have filed a bug for this.
>
> All up though, a great experience. There's no way in it's current form
> this table t can serve as a desktop - even my aging ultrabook -
> replacement. That said, working within it's current limitations, I've only
> opened my laptop a couple times since having it. Great job people - I'm
> looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Thanks for taking the time to report the issues you had! A few of them I
think are known, but I could not find them on the bugtracker. The only one
I could find is the one related to on-screen-keyboard in X11 apps.
If you don't mind filing the rest (that'd be awesome!) I'd recommend having
a look at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ to see if there's anything similar,
and if the bug is not reported yet, use
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Avengers
or