compiz like effects in Mir

Hi all,
when looking to move to Unity8 on the desktop I am *really* going to miss my cube and zoom and of course the wobbly windows. As I understand it Mir is OpenGL (or OpenGL ES or something) based so everything goes through the powerful part of the GPU anyway, what are the prospects of manipulating the surfaces on the way through? Is this something that would be built in to the Mir compositor or could it be a third party thing? I see the alt-tab switcher is kinda 3dish (is that real 3d or just QML doing it in 2d with the CPU?) but I am not seeing any other bit of the phone interface taking advantage of the capability of the GPU.

Alan.

Follow ups