Re: Internet Sharing Capabilities? (current status)

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Wayne Taylor <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> this is good news so thanks for updates. so it sounds like if I just get a
> BQ or maybe the Meizu pro 5 that everything should be functional within the
> next few months.
>
> However, I have heard that convergence will never work on the Meizu Pro 5
> which is what I am trying to prepare for moving forward.

Is that a rumor?  I have never read about that... it would be interesting
to get confirmation. I think the Miracast support is being developed mainly
for this device these days...

> I am currently using Nexus 4 and want to flash back to Ubuntu ASAP.
>
> So it seems like I won't have hotspot on Nexus, though.  That's not a
> deal-killer but a 'very nice to have'.
>
> I'm a 'power user' but not on a level like most of you folks so I'll need
> everything GUI because I won't have time to do CLI stuff with my curent
> schedule.

Yeah, the CLI handling of the RNDIS USB mode would be painful for my father
too.

I think we need a consolidated UI for Network access sharing to control the
USB access and Wifi access.

> Finally, thanks yet again to all of you for your hard work on this project
>
> W2
>

> On 16-05-11 01:17 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:
>
> On 10.05.2016 19:30, Felipe De La Puente wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have been using my Nexus 4 with Ubuntu Touch since the early days and
> it's giving me the minimum I need for my use case.
>
> One feature that has been challenging is internet sharing (aka
> tethering?). As far as I know Wifi Hotspot is disabled due to
> undetermined behavior in my device, so I use my phone as gateway by
> switching the USB driver to rndis instead of mtp when I need it. This
> kind of works...
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. What is the current status and near-term roadmap for USB/Wifi access
> to the internet using an Ubuntu Touch device as gateway?
>
> AFAIK, the reason why hotspot is disabled on the Nexus 4 is that the
> WiFi chip driver is not operating stable enough for hotspot.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that. This question is more focused on the natively
supported devices for which I assume there should be enough technical
disclossure for developers to address these kind of issues.

> As you said yourself, the RNDIS USB mode should work fine.
>
> It works for me, however I have observed tremendous lag in the uplink. I
need to Work From Home sometimes and it's a real problem when I have a
teleconference because they can't hear me... I have had this problem both
in a rural area and in the city with the antennas at sight. Never debugged
it deeply though. SSH is also painful, sometimes with seconds of delay for
each key stroke...

Have you noted similar behavior that could be related to the mobile device?

If you want a
> graphical tool for setting that up, you can use UT Tweak Tool from the
> OpenStore.
>

> 2. What's the expected out of the box status of the new Meizu Pro 5 with
> respect to this?
>
> I have never ever used that feature myself (I prefer USB) but at least
> it shows up here on my Pro5 in system settings.
>
> I also prefer USB, but would like to have both options to take full
advantage of the hardware and be able to compare the performance.
Having the option enabled sounds promising. Thanks for confirming.