Porting a GNUstep application to the M10

I've been discussing this previously with a few folks on the
ubuntudev list who have kindly lent assistance that has got
me part way through my port.

The goal:

I am porting an internal real time data display application that
a flight test engineer will watch on their Aquarius during test.

Our software is Objective C and uses GNUstep objects; the front
end is built with GORM, the Linux based clone of the NeXTstep/OpenStep
InterfaceBuilder and uses a GNUstep run time.

Over the last week I have succeeded in installing the tool chain
onto my M10 to allow c, c++ and objc compiles and builds into
native debian packages for the armhf. Amazingly, I still have
quite a lot of the original 1.1GB of root space left, about 765MB
to be precise.

Getting those in required a fair bit of fiddling. I did

	mount -o remount,rw /

and got a fresh set of apt package lists. I've also got a remote
ssh working, which makes life far easier. I'm very command line
oriented and prefer to work as close to the metal as possible.

I put a 1TB disk on the end of a USB-GTO cable to give me room
for the subversion working set I uploaded, and to build those
packages. Everything installs and all would be cool except there
is no X.

I have been told I need libertine; so I did

	apt-get install libertine libertine-scope

as described in Michael Hall's "Dogfooding Unity 8".

I found the Top Hat icon on my desktop, but it does not seem
to start up. When I click on it, a window appears and then
disappears moments late.

I tried this:

	initctl --session start libertine-lxc-manager

since it was mentioned in the same article but it fails.

I need some assistance on where to go next and will supply
whatever information is required (so long as it is not
ITAR restricted! :-)

Dale Amon
Sr Engineer
XCOR Aerospace