Re: OTA-12-rc and r130

On 16-06-30 04:13 AM, Vic G wrote:
> Yeah, the libertine scope is not empty so it must be the expected behaviour :)

Yes, they haven't disappeared they've simply migrated to a snug new home.

There are a few reasons for this change.

First, some people felt that XApps were different enough, because they were not designed for touch input or the
battery-saving Ubuntu app lifecycle, that they should be visually different in the Dash.

Second, the XApps scope is now shipped by default on devices that fully support convergence and having an XApp appear in
two places in the Dash can be confusing.  The one single place is the new XApp (Libertine) scope so that folks who
install their own XApps don't also have to hack up their own icon to appear in the Dash. Also, this way my team doesn't
have to maintain a special set of icons for the curated set of XApps shipped by default; less time doing that means more
time spent on things like getting cut-and-paste working with XApps.

Finally, there is a big development effort under way to aggregate all kinds of apps, including snaps and XApps, into the
Dash and the first step for that is to separate them out into their own scope so they can be aggregated back in when
that work is done.  Eventually, this change will appear to be reverted but with the option of filtering out XApps.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>