Re: Mass storage

hi,
On Do, 2016-08-04 at 17:32 +0200, Michael Zanetti wrote:

> On 04.08.2016 16:59, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 12:11:27PM +0200, Michael Zanetti wrote:
> > >
> > > anyone here has an idea what would be required to enable mass
> > > storage
> > > over USB instead of MTP?
> >
> > For what device/kernel/android stack?  The general problem AIUI is
> > that
> > newer versions of Android have moved away from supporting USB mass
> > storage
> > by choice; I don't know what's required for re-enabling it.
> >

> Hmm, the device I'm using right now is a Pro 5. Odd that this is so
> far
> down in the kernel...

not at all ... the behaviour of the usb port is controlled by the
android gadget driver which sets adb,mtp,pptp,usb,rndis and so on ...

check the init.rc scripts in the android container what the specific
options are on your pro5

though iirc there were filesystem related issues too, not only gadget
ones, when we reviewed that option.

the usb-storage setup behaves like a raw blockdevice, you need to
actually export a filesystem that the target machines know ... given
the majority will likely be windows or macOS that boils dont to "you
can only export vfat"
but at the same time you cant use vfat for the homedir ... android
hacks around that through some fake sdcard devices they create to
export a vfat iirc ... maintaining such hackery will be a massive pain
i guess.

ciao
	oli