Adding New Keyboard Layouts

Is there any movement on the much long ago mentioned "layout generation tool" (mentioned here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KeyboardLayouts )?

Assuming not, how can I test a new layout I make on my phone - do I need to make it writeable and then copy the files into /usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/ubuntu/lib/ (plus other places, I'm guessing - I need to have a look at the referenced Catalan merge request)?  I was thinking of making an EN-GB coding keyboard, with easy access to characters like |, <, >, etc from the alphanumeric layout - in this case what should I call the layout as I notice that the keyboard selection area in the settings referenced them by two letter country codes, and obviously this won't have one of them?

Cheers
Phil