Re: Nextcloud box with 1 TB HDD (only?)

Hi,

On 5 October 2016 at 23:52, Peter Bittner <peter.bittner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> There were some rather exciting news on the Ubuntu Devices Newsletter
> [1] today. Spotlight: Nextcloud, the reborn ownCloud, is now offered
> as a plug-and-play box for your living room.
>
> [1] http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=56dac47c206ba0f58ec25f314&id=95cfe09215&e=54c87c95b3

Indeed, I ordered one myself, which apparently ships tomorrow.

> Though, there is one more thing: Why is it offered only with a 1 TB
> HDD? - Why not 2 TB or more? And is it actually super-silent and low
> energy? (If not, why?)

It's not a standard SATA drive, but has a USB interface. You can see
that in this image on the WD Labs site.

http://wdlabs.wd.com/global/images/products/PiKit_image02.jpg

WD Labs don't sell larger capacity drives. 1TB is (currently) the max
they sell. You'd have to ask them why, but I imagine the demand for a
USB connected large capacity drive with the configuration above isn't
high enough yet.

http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/wd-pidrive-1tb-kit/

You might get better / more comprehensive answers in the WD community.

http://wdlabs.wd.com/community/

e.g.

https://community.wd.com/t/pidrive-1tb-buy-separately/178652

Alan Pope
Community Manager

Canonical - Ubuntu Engineering and Services
+44 (0) 7973 620 164
alan.pope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://ubuntu.com/