Re: Improve apps startup time by using Qt Quick Compiler

Some time ago we did an benchmark of compiled apps vs the QML caching we
currently use and found little difference in startup performance. Qt is
working on an improved version 2 of the compiler but as far as I know it is
scheduled for release with 5.8 or 5.9.

To be clear the first time an app is run we create a cache for the QML and
javascript elements so they are not interpreted on subsequent runs. This
saves at least 50% on most apps. We have also been tuning the code for our
own apps to improve startup times as poor design is generally the biggest
contributor to slowness.

We also looked into using an app launching daemon type of approach to
preload some of the runtime, but this is quite difficult given our strict
app confinement model and requires changes to apparmor. We also found it
did not result in significant savings.

As for QtQuick controls 2, the sdk team is migrating our toolkit toward a
common set of components and working with upstream on this.

Pat