Re: Ubuntu at MWC in Barcelona

On 25/02/17 08:14, Rodney Dawes wrote:
On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 21:37 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
Rodney, three questions about that:

The Fairphone 2 is, AFAIK, a 32-bit device. What will be shown at
MWC,
announced by Canonical, will this be snap or click based?
The FP2 port is like any other current device on UBports. It is the
same phone image base as all other current devices. There are currently
no snap based images for phones or tablets.

The word 'image' for the thing the Community could build, hides some
fundamental detail: At the moment we need some Android kernel parts
control the hardware of the mobile device. Do you really think that
there will be other images apart of the 'officially supported images'
in
the near future?
An "image" in the snap world will just be a thing which contains a set
of default installed snaps, which you flash on a device. This means at
least the ubuntu-core snap, a kernel snap (which may be kernel +
android container bits, i'm not sure if the specific there have been
ironed out), and the unity8, mir, pulseaudio, cups, etc… snaps. It will
not be the same as how system images work today.

I see no reason why there couldn't be unofficial ports, and soon after
we have the details worked out on how to build those images and flash
them to devices.

Why Canonical is not supporting the existing BQ E4.5 and E5 devices
with
a new officially supported image and why you leave us alone (apart of
security updates)
and without any visible upgrade path, not even to a new hardware?
This is not something I am able to answer.

For the record, I also find it a bit irritating at the lack of communication from Canonical - keeping the community in the loop seems a no brainer to me. That said, I think its too early to tell what will be supported, and what won't - how easy it will be, etc. I think this is mainly because no one really knows yet. Once the project is snapified we'll have more info, even if that involves working out ourselves what we can flash the system on.

I'm going to throw my ring into the hat and defend Canonical's lack of communication. Given how people have been jumping on /every/ bit of 'official' media to point to the demise of this project, I can understand how Canonical might want to stay silent until they know what is going on. Personally, I think this sucks, but can understand the idea behind it. Lets wait and see what happens.

Mitchell