ubuntu-powerpc team mailing list archive

CD Builds for PowerPC e500 kernels

Hello Colin (and others)

Colin, I've done the majority of the related work for selecting the right image for e500* machines. What isn't done is the livefs and ISO stuff.

The livefs obviously needs the extra kernels added (powerpc-e500 and powerpc-e500mc...did I do that already?). Also, the ISO image needs these installed as:

/installer/e500/{vmlinux,initrd.img}
/installer/e500mc/{vmlinux,initrd.img}

Any extra command line options required (you only get one choice) should be added in one line to:

/installer/{e500,e500mc}/append

Alternatively (I haven't tested this yet, but it should work) the images could be placed arbitrarily if a /boot/grub.cfg existed on the ISO. This would allow for an arbitrary number of entries with differing command line options and descriptive text for each. I could even update our firmware to look at /boot/grub.cfg.{e500,e500mc} if you think that makes more sense; would alleviate the problem of both e500 and e500mc being in the same cfg and forcing the user to know what their CPU is (but I'm guessing some grub.cfg foo could detect this and only show one sub-menu or the other).

Note that either of these would work on bare-metal and QEmu-KVM booted situations and the kernels can be reused for net booting if the user needed that.

I prefer the grub scenario since it is more robust.

If you would prefer I do this work, please point me to proper places to edit. The ubuntu-cdimage repo is intimidatingly huge.

--
Servergy  : http://www.servergy.com/
SwissDisk : http://www.swissdisk.com/

Follow ups