ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: kicking off: the plan so far

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 12:02 -0300, Lucio Torre wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         It seems that it'd be nice if we could use an already existing
>         protocol instead of inventing our own.  Rumor seems to have it
>         (I haven't seen an official source) that XMPP is the solution
>         of choice here. (slide 4)
>

> Yes, we wont re invent the protocol. Options right now are MQTT or
> XMPP. Facebook uses mqtt, which is lighter than xmpp but more obscure.

Yes, I hadn't heard of MQTT before.  One thing that scared me a bit on
its webpage[1] was:

        This protocol specification has not been standardized. It is
        made available here under a royalty free license.

Seems a little wishy washy, and pushes me from the license/standards
reason a little towards XMPP.  But, I know you're Python people so
intrinsically scared of XML ;-)

What I care about most is that we don't introduce another service
running on the device.  So if we do decide to use MQTT it would be nice
if we could write a MQTT plugin for Telepathy so that we could use the
same service on the device.  Telepathy supports things like activation
already.

Ted

[1]
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-mqtt/index.html