ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: kicking off: the plan so far

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 12:44 +0100, John Lenton wrote:
> Hello all!

Hello!

> So, push notifications.

> We want to have a push notifications story that does a bunch of neat stuff:
>
>  * very low power consumption on the client
>  * end-to-end encrypted
>  * smart (locale-aware) client-side message handling to avoid waking
> apps up for notifications that don't need it
>  * have a preferences app (possibly synced to the server) to select
> which apps get notified and how
>  * have multiple "modes" (at-most-once, at-least-once,
> once-and-only-once, only-on-tuesdays*, etc)
>  * use operator-provided backend services when available and useful

So, before I get into the other details you described below this
cut-off, is
this meant to be only for visual notifications, or for a more general
notifications
API so that services can notify apps of changes, that won't necessarily
be visualized
to the user, or even if they do result in a change in visuals on the
device, don't
necessarily mean that a "notification" will pop up on the phone to annoy
the user.

For example, if I am listening to streaming music from Ubuntu One on my
phone, and
walk over to my PC to buy a song in the store, could Ubuntu One notify
the app on
my phone that a new song is available, and should be pushed into the
"New Songs"
queue in the app, without me having to be notified of it, or being
forced to go
look at the songs list, find it, and manually add it to a queue? Or
would I just
get a "you have a new song available!" pop up notification dingus on the
phone?