ubuntu-scientists team mailing list archive

Introduction

Hi,

I am Willem Ligtenberg, I have a M.Sc. in Biomedical Engineering. And I now
work as a bioinformatician/biostatistician for a consultancy company which
really values Open Source.
We try release all software we write under an open source license if the
clients are willing.
And we will show them the advantages of using (and creating) OSS.

In my opinion we can at least have four goals:
1) help scientists find FLOSS alternatives
2) get universities to teach FLOSS instead of proprietary software. (or at
least mention/show it...)
3) get scientists to be more involved in Ubuntu
4) try to convince scientist to make a career in FLOSS development

1) is the easiest
2) is very difficult, we will have to ensure there is teaching material
3) I actually don't know what to do here specifically.
4) I think we should highlight good success stories of people who focussed
on creating FLOSS in the academic/business world

Those are my 2 cents. I am really curious where this will end/go.

Kind regards,

Willem

Follow ups