ubuntu-scientists team mailing list archive

Re: Sci-User-Friendly

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well this is something already fulfilled by meta-packages, isn't it ?

No, metapackages are over general and not up to the mark.

> For instance, one can install python-scitools to pull numpy, scipy,
> matplotlib...and get a decent python stack for scientific computing in just
> one install command.  Do you suggest adding more of those with a focus on
> different scientific field maybe ?

Yes, essentially that + UI

Suppose a user mentions their field of work, then we should be able to
suggest packages in various categories given available resources on
user's computer. Often users do not know about the existence of better
tools - this can be addressed.

>From the Muon software center POV, in the scheme "Get s/w -> Sci &
Engg ->Math ->Sort", we need a tree at Math  and the sort options need
to be enhanced.

Best

A. Mani

A. Mani