ubuntu-scientists team mailing list archive

Hello All, I'm here to contribute

Hi there,

I have briefly met some people in the group during the UOS, prior
obligations and some time confusion meant that I missed the Ubuntu
Scientist meeting, but I still want to make my introductions.

Briefly: I work cross-discipline at the University of Californian Berkeley
and UCSF in neurophysics (Formal education: experimental physics and pure
mathematics). I have 8 years of linux experience with Ubuntu/debian being
my primary working platform. Additionally, I have been linux exclusive for
4 years (outside of occasional VM's ;) ). I have been regularly able to
assist many of my coworkers in using Ubuntu and other Linux systems for
their work and convince some of them to switch entirely. Luckily my field
already has a lot of dependence on linux so this was not too difficult.

I am most excited about introducing ubuntu and linux in a usable way to
diverse fields. Particularly I am very enthusiastic about using lightweight
virtualization and "system agnostic packaging" (i.e. docker)  so that there
is an easy and stable way to use diverse scientific software (which often
depends on experimental, developing, or debian-unmaintained libraries) in
the context of a stable linux environment, which to me has the most hope in
Ubuntu LTS releases.

I work primarily as a developer and have software packaging experience (as
well as ubuntu specific development) which I can detail later if the need
arises. I feel that my combined outreach and development experience can
contribute to this project (which I strongly believe in on a personal
level) and would love to hear what subprojects you have going that I can
possibly contribute to.

-Andrey Shmakov