ubuntu-scientists team mailing list archive

Re: Rebooting This Team

On 14/02/16 17:24, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> All,
>
> It's been two years and no activity, so I'm thinking about rebooting
> this team.  What types of projects can we do as a team in order to get
> active again?

Hi, Svetlana.

One thing might be for people to try out Bio-Linux and discuss what we
think could be removed/changed/improved in it - For anyone who doesn't
know, Bio-Linux is bioinformatics workstation/server software based on
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with .deb packages from the Debian-Med team and main
Debian/Ubuntu repositories plus some from the NEBC Bio-Linux team:

  http://environmentalomics.org/bio-linux/

We will be making plans for a Bio-Linux 9 soon after Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
"Xenial Xerus" is released in April 2016.

Another topic of interests might be "Qlustar", which is an Ubuntu 14-04
LTS based cluster OS from Q-Leap:

  https://qlustar.com/

Although "Qlustar" is commerical software, the Qlustar Basic Edition is
free for non-commercial and purely academic use and will remain free
forever:

  https://qlustar.com/content/qlustar-basic-edition

Q-Leap, the company that produce "Qlustar", have made a strong
commitment to support Debian-Med on their platform and I'm working on a
Bio-Linux-based FE (front-End) "x2go" terminal server for the Qlustar
platform. We had a working prototype at a Debian-Med Sprint that I
organised a couple of years ago in Stonehaven (Scotland, UK):

  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Meeting/Aberdeen2014

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx